Su Blackwell

After writing a letter of appeal to the Visual Merchandiser at Tiffany and Co., I have since been requested to remove their images from my blog.

December 21st, 2010 · 16 Comments

Left: My work in Window of Kate’s Paperie in New York, 2009.
Right: Tiffany Windows in New York, 2010.

16 responses so far ↓

• 1 Susan // Dec 21, 2010 at 2:08 pm

I am utterly appalled by their behavior. I certainly hope it does not make you feel worse if I say they should not only pay you for theft of intellectual property, but they should be made to pay punitive damages. I hope it does not end here.

• 2 admin // Dec 21, 2010 at 7:41 pm

yes, ironically it was because I hadn’t asked for their permission to use them!

• 3 Gill // Dec 22, 2010 at 10:27 am

Su, you may link to my blog and images or use my photos on your blog as you wish. I give you my full permission!

• 4 Suzanne // Dec 22, 2010 at 10:41 am

I can feel a case of David and Goliath coming on. Hope you continue to fight for what is yours. They have been exposed and I for one wouldn’t want their lousy rip offs linked to me if I was you. If they can get away with this then no artist is safe from these cheap thieves.

• 5 ann // Dec 22, 2010 at 12:59 pm

You might ask Tifanny’s to remove their forgeries from their windows in return.

Good luck!

• 6 Chantal Powell // Dec 23, 2010 at 6:09 pm

Hi Su,

I was so angry for you when I heard about this. Its clearly identifiable as your concept (even without the letter they wrote to you expressing their interest in your work!) but not of the same standard as your work. I don’t know if its better or worse for you to have it looking like you (and people presuming its your work) but knowing its not as good as you would make it. I guess thats inevitable when people opt for a knock off option!
    I have another friend who had her work blatently copied and sold by someone she had contact with. Awful!

Its really horrible and just wanted to say I’m sorry. I hope you get some justice.

Chantal x

• 7 Heather Beaumont // Dec 24, 2010 at 12:09 am

Hi there, you do not know me, I found your wonderful blog on Elsa Mora’s blog. I love your work! I am a fine art student at Parson’s in Paris, and I used to work in the fashion trade as a designer, and I know how bad it feels to have great ideas stolen. I am outraged that Tiffany’s should do such an underhanded thing! Their work also depends on the creativity of their desighers! Ripping off someone’s ideas is not ok!

Time to call a lawyer! Good luck!

• 8 Morna Crites-Moore // Dec 24, 2010 at 7:05 am

I think their window displays are “public” and therefore can be photographed by anybody – and the photos can be displayed without needing permission. But I’m not a lawyer.

You ought to get a newspaper reporter interested in writing a story about this.

• 9 elise // Dec 28, 2010 at 7:27 am

I’m so sorry that they copied your magnificent art !
    I would say you should enlist a attorney and persue
    copyright charges against them. I’m personally all through with their company now that I’ve seen such obvious display of stealing from you the originator of this art. This is a crime.

• 10 Rolin // Jan 2, 2011 at 4:32 pm

How strange that they can so clearly copy your ideas and you have to remove pictures to show what they ‘ve copied from your blog.
    I saw the pictures of the window-display on the nyclovesnyc.blogspot.com blog and thought you’ve made these!
    It’s obviously not a problem that these pictures are on other people’s blogs…makes a person wonder!
    Happy creative new year from Holland.

• 11 Patricia Burrell // Jan 3, 2011 at 2:31 pm

Dear Su,

I’m a Fine Art student – (1st year) I was looking at your amazing works, as I’m doing an assignment on bookart.

I am blown away by your skill and the magic you capture in your works, which brings me back to my childhood of Hans Christian Anderson bedtime stories.

However, I am disgusted to here of what Tiffany’s had done. I am shocked that such a big international company that is very successful, will resort to tarnishing their reputation by stealing ideas.

Your work is original and amazing and i can’t wait to see more of your works. It is a shame you have experienced this. This copyright theft!!

I would like to wish you a happy new year and lots of luck if you do decide to pursue the copyright theft!

• 12 admin // Jan 4, 2011 at 11:49 pm

yes, it is shocking! Even when I look at them, I think it’s my work! You would think that as Tiffany and Co. pride themselves on being an exclusive jewellery company, that they would want, and actively encourage collaborative projects exclusively with artists/designers. Not so, it seems. The ironic thing is that just a few doors down from Tiffany’s on Bond Street is Nicole Farhi’s flagship Store. ‘Read about my collaboration with Nicole Fahri’ in previous post’.

• 13 Rock NYC // Jan 7, 2011 at 4:59 am

It’s completely embarrassing! To sit there and question if its a good or bad thing to have happen is not a question its a crime!! I used to be an Art Director for years and prided myself and taught my team to always find the way out, to be different but not so far different that nobody gets it. Whoever is responsible ( I guess you mentioned a Richard Moore) to which I don’t even recognize the name (hence another nobody in way over his head trying to make it on other “REAL” designers true creativity!) They should have his job! It is Disrespectful, Dishonest and Disgraceful. A person representing the caliber store Tiffany’s tries to portray should have his own concepts, own visual ideas ready to go to hand a designer/artist type to let them run with it. If they cant do that, then why do you even have the job? If it was going to be outsourced then cut the position save the salary and the thievery and just outsource everything. He just single handedly brought shame to that, (I’m guessing flagship location?) From all of the NYC “real artist and designer nation” Well guess you’ll see just how creative he can get because if this stiff is by some stroke of luck entitled to keep his job he’ll get put under a microscope now by a whole city worth of people. Maybe his own corporate heads better wake up before someone lands them in court due to a creative leader who has NO creativity!! Unreal… Good Luck!

• 14 Susan Kaye Quinn // Jan 8, 2011 at 2:52 pm

I’ve just discovered your work and your blog – just beautiful! Please keep making your wonderful art, no matter what.

• 15 Naomi // May 26, 2011 at 1:17 am

Su, Tiffani’s came out of this worse than you anyway, you can see the poor quality in their picture compared to your masterpiece, just look at the detail in your work compared to theirs its obvious they will never get the effect that you and only you can create, i wish you all the best in the future Su, the world is lucky to have such tallent like yours x

• 16 Angel // May 30, 2011 at 5:47 am

Hi Su
    I am a photographer and i have also had trouble with another local photographer actually, stealing and copying my photos not even a few days after i displayed them (long story)…. but anyways.. I’m not sure on US rights, but here is Australia, If you took the photo, it is yours you can do with it as you wish, esp if taken on public property, even looking in on private property from public property you can take it, diff story if it is taken on private property though you need a release form.
    But as stated numerous times above, you can clearly see that yours is superior quality (i am LOVING your work by the way)

I hope you get the justice you deserve. x